Monday, November 12, 2012

One more Christmas gift finished!

I can't tell you how much fun I am having rediscovering collage!  I mean, I know we did it in elementary school (it's just cut and paste, after all), and one of my favourite gifts to my Dad on Father's Day involves a piece of wood and some collaged wallpaper frogs (is anyone surprised I used frogs? And that I still own said piece of wood?), but I had no idea how beautiful grown-up collage could be!

Lately, I've been spending time on Pinterest, pinning collages and art journal pages.  Such gorgeous creations by such talented people.  I can only hope, one day, to make the kind of interesting and amazing collages I find there.

Here are a few of my favourite collage artists (found on Pinterest, of course!):

Brenda Figueroa
Virginia Tillery
The Kathryn Wheel

So, I have an ever-growing list of people I would like to make collages for.  I'm doubtful that they will all be done in the next 6 weeks, in time for Christmas gift-giving, but I'm excited by the thought of spending lots of time trying to get them all done!  I don't want it to turn into a job, however, so I'm just going to have fun and see how far I get. 

The one pictured above is finished, I think.  When I compare it to other collages, it seems too simple.  I know, I shouldn't compare myself to other people.  I should do what my heart wants to do and be happy with it.  But this is something I struggle with - am I good enough?  is my art good enough?  is it good enough to give as gifts to other people or will they make fun of it after I have left? 

Sigh.  I guess I should read the verse on this collage again:

The purpose of life is to discover your gift.
The meaning of life is to give it away.

And, I'm off to start a new collage........

1 comment:

  1. Love your collage and it will make a lovely gift. The verse is very special and it reminds me that gift-giving is a special gift that has some precious rewards.

    ReplyDelete